Instagram always surprises us with its new add-ons like adding different pictures in one frame, adding stickers, reacting to someone’s reply and liking a story that was recently introduced, and not to forget, our main topic of interest, add music to my Instagram story. This feature was recently brought in and has received huge feedback as to how it has made stories more interactive.
Instagram Music, definitely has helped in building more social relations by getting to know the musical interests of someone through their story. But what if you are unable to add your favorite music to your story? That would be quite disappointing but there could be several reasons for the same.
Sometimes it so happens that you cannot add a particular song or you cannot add a song itself in the first place and sometime the music feature’s sticker might not be displayed. It could be maybe due to glitches in Instagram as the server sometimes goes down and not only the music feature but posts that you wish to like or add a story, etc. can also get affected.
Why can’t you add music to your Instagram story?
As mentioned above, several reasons play a role in this. Instagram does not allow you to add music if the region that you reside in does not support the music feature or does not allow the posting of that particular song. This Instagram music feature is available across 90 countries but sadly, due to copyright laws, the feature isn’t available in a few of the countries.
At times, we fail to update the app which could possibly be due to the disabling of the auto-update option on your phone. This can prevent you from adding music to your story, often checking for updates can get rid of the problem.
In case you’re sharing a content that is branded and you wish to add the music feature to it, Instagram’s algorithm and the way it usually works based on its policies and taking other features like stickers and emojis into consideration, Instagram prevents one from adding such a feature to any story activity that involves branded content ads.
The amount of music included also has a limit when it comes to ‘live videos’ unlike regular stories due to licensing agreements. We have described below in detail how to get back the feature in case it does not work for your phone either on iPhone or Android.
How to check or add music to my Instagram story
Remember to always look up the Instagram policies on the music feature before uploading the music to your story. You can check whether you are can or not add music to your story in just a few steps,
- Open the Instagram app on your phone and click on the camera icon or the plus symbol that appears near your profile which allows you to add a story.
- Try adding a picture or video and proceed to tap on the sticker icon that appears somewhere towards the middle on top of the screen that looks like a smiley on a corner bent post-it note.
- You will now see a display-like screen, select the icon that says MUSIC in bold starting with three vertical lines. If that does not work, you can simply type ‘music’ out on the search bar.
- If the screen turns to the list of music options for you to add, then you are all set and you can go ahead to add your favorite music. But if that is not the case, you probably are facing one of the causes mentioned above. Although, you can still add music from any third-party app like Spotify or amazon music.
How to add music when the music sticker is not available?
As we have seen above, in case you do not have the music sticker on your Instagram story option, do not worry we have got it all covered for you.
- Open any third-party app that streams music like Spotify on your phone.
- Play the music that you wish to add.
- When this is getting played, open Instagram and record a video for your story. This will allow your story to record the music that is getting played in the background.
Although you cannot add the standard way of how the music feature is intended to be, like that one with album lyrics, etc, it still is quite a helpful tactic to add music to your story.
Remember that the same cannot be done to a story that holds pictures and Instagram has strict policies and adheres to them quite well, so in case the music you have added through this method violates the copyright infringement, Instagram has the right to remove the audio from your story.