Windows 10 can be considered the best (even in 2022) PC operating system and the update becomes necessary as Microsoft is officially stopping support for Windows 7 and Windows 8. Windows 10 has a powerful Start menu, a UI that can switch between and touch & mouse-friendly modes. The Cortana digital assistant along with a host of improvements. If you are running a legitimate copy of Windows 7 or 8, you could just upgrade to Windows 10 for free. An OS upgrade takes a little time, however, not much effort or expertise is needed. This article will teach you how to upgrade to Windows 10 for free.
Windows 10 should be installed without a hitch; however, driver problems are a possibility during any system update. Before we start the process, make sure you have all of the data backed up, so you can download them again if your computer crashes. If you do not have a system restore disk already, it is recommended you make a full system backup.
Finally, you have to keep in mind that you need around 1 to 2 hours free to run the installation. Yes, you can walk away for large portions of the process. You can expect all the downloading as well as file copying to take at least 60 minutes. If you happen to have slow or inconsistent Internet, it is recommended you go to someplace that has a strong connection, then follow the instructions to create a USB install disk you can use at home.
How to Upgrade Via Direct Download?
1. Make your way to https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
2. Click on “Download Tool now.”
3. Then launch this Download Tool.
4. Click on the option that says Select Upgrade this PC Now if you are installing on this computer right away. However, if you wish to create a USB or DVD media. Creating your own install media grants you the ability to not only install on multiple computers, but on top of that, you also can reinstall on your current computer if something goes wrong.
This tool will take some time to download the software, it will be further time taking if you have a slow Internet connection. After the download finishes, the software will go through a preparation process and downloads a few more files. This will also take time, which might be as long as an hour even on a high-speed connection.
5. Click the Accept button on the license terms screen. You have to wait as the software checks for updates, this also takes several minutes.
6. If you happen to be upgrading from Windows 7 make sure you select “keep personal files and app” or the upgrade will not work, then Click the Install button. Wait for around 20 to 30 minutes for the computer to copy files, don’t worry as it will reboot several times.
7. Click the Next button on the login screen.
8. Select Use Express settings, you can change a few settings later.
9. Click the Next button on the “New apps for the new Windows” screen, and the computer will display a message saying “finalizing your settings,” and then take you to the Windows 10 lock screen.
10. All you need to do is log in to your computer. Windows 10 will take a few more minutes to do an initial setup, then voila, you will be directed to the Windows desktop.
How to Create a Windows 10 USB Install Disk or a DVD?
You have to have a 4GB or larger USB flash drive, or a blank DVD to create your own Windows 10 install disk. What’s the point you ask? Well, having your own disk allows you to run the upgrade on multiple computers without having to wait an hour for a download. You do have the option of doing a clean install. If not, you can run the upgrade a second time if you run into problems.
Before you begin, make sure you have inserted your flash drive into one of the USB ports. Note – All data on the drive will be erased.
1. Follow steps 1 -3 given above, installing the Download tool, then launching it.
2. Click on “Create installation media . . . “
3. Choose the language, and edition along with the architecture (32 or 64 bits) of Windows. You need to make sure the selections match those of the computer(s) you want to upgrade. So, if you are currently running Windows 8 Home (64-bit), you need to select Windows 10 Home 64-bit.
4. Select the USB flash drive. If you are planning to burn this onto a DVD instead, click on an ISO file. After the process completes, you will have to use a DVD-burning program to write the ISO to the disc.
5. Click on Finish when the process completes. If you do not plan to install Windows 10 right now, you can remove the drive and stop the process here.
6. Launch setup.exe on the USB drive to begin the upgrade process.
7. Click on “Download and install updates,” then click on Next. If you happen to be in a hurry, you can just select “Not right now.” You will have to wait several minutes for the updates to download.
If the software prompts you to enter a product key, it signifies you are using the wrong version of Windows 10 to upgrade. For example, it might be because you are attempting to install Windows 10 Home over the existing Windows 8.1 Pro or vice versa. The steps will remain the same if you install via direct download.
8. Click the Accept button. The software will take a couple of minutes to check the system.
9. Click on Install, if you wish you can walk away for at least 30 minutes. After the OS completes the installation, you will be presented with a screen displaying your username.
10. Click Next.
11. Click on Use Express settings.
12. Click Next.
13. Now, log in to your computer.
If you liked this article (or if it helped), leave a comment below or share it with friends so they can also know How to Upgrade to Windows 10?