Sharing your location with people is the easiest and most convenient way to ensure they know where you are and have a better idea of when you will reach the destination. There are multiple ways you can share your location; it can be shared either temporarily or permanently. You can share your location via Google Maps which is probably the easiest method. You also have the ability to share your current location in a simple message directly from your Android phone. This article will teach you how you can do it and the various options there are.
Google Maps – The easiest way to Share your Location
Google Maps provides one of the most comprehensive location-sharing features, you have the ability to share your live location with someone for an unlimited or preset amount of time. You can share the current trip so that the recipient can see your location and how much time is left. Both of these location-sharing methods are simple to set up but require a different process.
How to Share your live location with someone permanently or for a limited time on Google Maps?
This option grants you the ability to share your live location with someone through Google Maps. The person will be able to see the location on a map in real-time and your remaining battery percentage. This can also give them a clue as to why you’re not picking up their calls.
To share your live location, follow the:
- Open Google Maps on your android device.
- Tap on the profile picture.
- Tap on Location sharing.
- Select the blue Share location button.
- Now, choose the duration of your location sharing. You can select the lowest option of 15 minutes or let it be active for as high as 24 hours. If not, you can share your location permanently until you decide to turn it off.
- Choose whom you wish to share the location with. By default, Google Maps will recommend your most frequent contacts, tap on More on the right of the contacts to select someone from the Contacts list. You will be able to spot another More button in the lower-right corner of the screen, this can be used to generate a sharing link. This option can be avoided because anyone with the link can see your live location.
- The recipient will then be able to see your location in real-time using Google Maps. They will be able to use the Location Sharing section to see the current location along with the remaining battery percentage.
- After you share your location with someone, you will see the list of people you granted access to under the Location Sharing section. Tap on Stop if you wish to revoke access and stop sharing your location with someone.
How to Share your trip progress?
One more way you can share your live location with Google Maps is by sharing the trip progress. This is convenient because you can share your location and ETA without having to send updates or having to stop to share the location. To share your trip progress, use Google Maps for guidance while driving. If you stop the guidance during the trip, say for a meal break, it automatically stops sharing the progress. This feature is mostly useful for shorter trips and commutes.
- Open Google Maps on your android device.
- Choose the destination, then start driving guidance.
- On your device, tap on remaining driving time.
- Tap on Share trip progress
- Choose whom you wish to share the location with. By default, Google Maps will recommend your most frequent contacts, tap on More on the right of the contacts to select someone from the Contacts list. The icons at the bottom of the screen let you share a link using a messaging app. The recipient does not need to have Google Maps on their phone, as the link works with a web browser and on a desktop, as well.
How to Share your location using Google Messages?
There is another simple way to send your location by using your traditional messaging app or Google Messages, as it can be sent to anybody without requiring any specific software. The drawback is that the text message you send will contain only the current location and it does not allow the recipient to track you.
To send your location details on Google Messages follow the:
- First, open Google Messages, and start a conversation with the person you wish to share your location with.
- Tap the + button in the lower-left, then tap on Location
- Send your current location. Or, you can select from a list of nearby points of interest.
- Tap on the one you wish to share, then send it using the arrow on the right.
- The recipient will then receive a Google Maps link with your current coordinates. This will make it easy for them to open it on the device they are using, as only a web browser is required.
How to Share your location on WhatsApp?
A way to share your location on Android is to use a common texting app. WhatsApp allows you to share your current location. WhatsApp also provides an option to share the live location for a while. All the options are easily accessible. There is one drawback, it is that the recipient needs to have WhatsApp on their device. Live location is not yet supported on WhatsApp Desktop.
In any case, sharing your location on WhatsApp only takes a few taps:
- Open WhatsApp, and start a conversation with the person you wish to share your location with.
- Now, tap the paperclip button in the lower-left and choose Location.
- Send the current or live location or you can pick from a list of nearby points of interest. While sharing your live location, decide how long the recipient should be able to track you: 15 minutes, 1 hour, or 8 hours. All you need to do to stop sharing it before the countdown ends is tap the red button.
- Wait until WhatsApp’s live location refreshes. You have to tap the person’s location in the conversation feed to be able to access their live location.
If you liked this article (or if it helped), leave a comment below or share it with friends so they can also know How to Share Location on Android?