Do you hate when people can see when you’ve read their message on Instagram? Well, luckily there is a way to turn off Read Receipts on Instagram. It’s not as easy as just turning them off in your settings, but we will walk you through the process.
Outline of what you will learn here today
First, make sure you aren’t accidentally tapping the “New Message” notifications. If you are, turn those off first! Then, go into your Settings and enable Airplane Mode. Once Airplane Mode is enabled, go back into Settings and this time disable Read Receipts. Voila! You’re now able to read messages privately.
Okay, now you know what your plan of action is, let us walk you through a step-by-step process and make sure you turn off read receipts.
Turn off Read Receipts on Instagram
Turning off Instagram Message Notifications
- Assuming you are logged into your Instagram App, go to your profile
- Click on the Hamburger menu, three lines on Top
- Tap on Settings
- Click on Notifications
- Select Messages and Calls
- Scroll down to find the “Messages” section and select the “Off” option
This will help us avoid accidentally clicking on message notifications.
Note: Now, you will not get notifications when you get a new message. So, make sure you follow this only when it is really necessary for you to turn off read receipts.
After you turned off the message notifications, it is time to do the actual trick. We are pretty sure you heard of Airplane mode in Android/iPhone. If not, you can scroll down from the top of your screen and turn on Airplane mode or go to settings and search for Airplane mode to turn it on.
Reading Instagram messages on Airplane Mode
- Assuming you are logged into your Instagram, open the Instagram app
- Tap on the Messages icon on the top right corner
- Turn on Airplane Mode as suggested (Make sure Wi-Fi is off)
- Read your messages
- After done reading, go back to your profile
- Click on Hamburger Menu
- Select “Settings“
- Scroll Down to the bottom of the page and click on Logout
- After you are logged out, turn off Airplane mode.
- Now, log back in and you should see unread messages which you already read.
Instagram does not provide you to read receipts on or off during the time this article is written. For now, with all tests, we did the above-mentioned steps seemed to be working the best. Will update this space if Instagram decides to change something.