Are you trying to install extensions that are outside the Chrome Web Store? However, Chrome displays a message saying extensions “can only be added from the Chrome Web Store.” This message is incorrect, as you have the ability to install extensions from elsewhere.
This restriction is in place to prevent malicious websites from installing extensions, apps, or user scripts that will cause harm. Only install extensions from legitimate websites you have faith in.
How to Manually Install Extensions?
- To install an extension, open Chrome Web Store, click on the wrench, click on Tools, then select Extensions, this will open the Extensions page.
- If you see a message, Chrome has already either downloaded the extension, app. OR. The user script to your computer. You will be able to find it in Chrome’s default download folder. Extensions or apps have the .crx file extension. The user scripts have the.user.js file extension.
- If it didn’t download, right-click the extension installation link on the page, then use the Save As an option to save it.
- Drag and drop the CRX file onto the Extensions page, this will start the installation.
- You’ll be prompted to confirm the installation.
- You have to Allow Extensions from Outside the Chrome Web Store
- If you want to frequently install extensions from outside the Web Store, you need to allow extension installation from any website, add a command-line flag.
- To add a command-line option, edit your Chrome shortcut’s properties. To access this on Windows 7, if you are launching Chrome from your taskbar, right-click on the Chrome icon, right-click Google Chrome in the menu that appears, then click on Properties.
- If you launch Chrome from your Start menu/desktop, right-click on the shortcut on your Start menu/ desktop.
- Select the Shortcut tab, add the following text to the end of the Target box:
- After changing the setting, close all Chrome windows, then launch Chrome from the shortcut you modified. Wait for a few moments after closing all Chrome windows to ensure Chrome is not running.
If you liked this article (or if it helped at all), leave a comment below or share it with friends, so they can also know How to Install Extensions From Outside the Chrome Web Store?