To disable the Netflix Button on the Nvidia shield pro you need to spend no little than 5 mins. The Nvidia shield pro is an Android TV streaming device that has a built-in Netflix button. This means you can stream your favorite movies and television shows without the need for any additional apps or devices, but it also means that if you accidentally press the Netflix button because of its placement on the remote control, then you could end up paying money to watch something on Netflix unwittingly. If this sounds like something you want to avoid happening to you, then read on!
Updated Guide to Disable/Remap Netflix Button on Nvidia Shield Pro
The Nvidia Shield Pro is a premium Android TV streaming device known for its excellent Android TV support. One of its standout features is the revamped remote, which includes a dedicated Netflix button. While convenient for Netflix enthusiasts, others may find it less useful or even bothersome due to accidental presses. Fortunately, there are ways to repurpose or disable this button.
Using Button Mapper App (No Root Required)
- Download and Install: Go to the Google Play Store on your Nvidia Shield TV and download the “Button Mapper” app, an accessible solution for remapping physical buttons on Android TV remote controls.
- Enable as Accessibility Service: Upon launching Button Mapper, you’ll be prompted to enable it as an Accessibility Service. This step is crucial for the app to function correctly.
- Accessing Device Preferences: Navigate to the Settings menu on your Shield TV, select ‘Device Preferences’, and then ‘Accessibility’. Here, you will find the option to enable the Button Mapper service.
- Adding and Customizing Buttons: In the Button Mapper app, select ‘Add Button’ and then press the Netflix button on your remote. The app will recognize the button, allowing you to assign new functions or disable it. You can set different actions for a single press, double-tap, or long press.
Advanced Method: Rooting and Remapping (For Tech-Savvy Users)
- Root Your Device: This method requires rooting your Nvidia Shield TV, a process that provides deeper access to the system but may void warranties and requires technical proficiency.
- Editing System Files: After rooting, navigate to
/system/usr/keylayout/and open the file
- Modifying Key Functions: Locate the line “key 116 STB_POWER WAKE”. To change the Nvidia button’s function to a lock button, modify this line to “key 116 POWER WAKE_DROPPED”. For a home button functionality, change it to “key 116 HOME WAKE_DROPPED”.
- Save and Restart: Save the modified file and restart your Shield TV to apply the changes.
These methods offer flexibility in customizing the Nvidia Shield TV remote, especially the Netflix button. The Button Mapper app provides an easy and safe way for most users, while rooting and editing system files is an option for those with more technical expertise. By following these steps, you can make the most out of your Nvidia Shield Pro remote, tailoring it to your preferences and needs.
The streaming stick from NVIDIA is named plainly as the NVIDIA SHIELD TV, on the other hand, the higher-end, more expensive set-top box holds the “Pro” status. These devices have gained popularity due to NVIDIA’s stellar track record with Android TV support, but a noteworthy aspect of both devices is the revamped remote. This remote includes keys for everything you’d want, along with a shortcut to Netflix, which may come in useful for binge-watching.
NVIDIA SHIELD Android TV Pro 4K HDR Streaming Media Player; High Performance, Dolby Vision, 3GB RAM, 2x USB, Works with Alexa
However, if you’re not a huge Netflix humane, you might find this button annoying, thanks to its dysfunctionality. You might want to rework that button, so you could put it to some use. Luckily there is a way to remap this button to whatever you want. This method revolves around an app called “Button Mapper” by XDA Recognized Developer flar2, which has been existing for over 3 years. Redditors figured out how to use it to effectively remap the remote’s Netflix button.
How to disable the Netflix button: Step-by-step guide
- Head over to the Google Play Store and download the Button Mapper app on your device. No need for root or any other modifications.
- Install and then launch Button Mapper on your Shield or Shield Pro.
- You’ll be prompted to enable it as an Accessibility Service, which you need to enable.
- Open the ‘Add Buttons’ page, click on ‘Add Button’, then press the Netflix button on your remote.
- Pick the newly added button from the list and then toggle the setting for customization.
You can then assign whatever function you’d like for the button. Or you could also choose to disable the button altogether. If you liked this article (or if it helped at all), leave a comment below or share it with friends, so they can also how to disable the Netflix button on the Nvidia Sheild pro remote.
Looking for the latest updates and expert insights on immigration, visas, green cards, and H1B news? Head over to VisaVerge – the premier online destination for all your immigration queries and news. VisaVerge offers comprehensive, up-to-date information to help you navigate the complexities of immigration processes. Don’t miss out on crucial updates that could impact your journey. Visit VisaVerge now and stay informed!