In the US, Netflix is finally rolling out its ad-supported tier, which will cost $6.99 per month. The new tier, Netflix Basic with Ads, will feature an “average” of four to five ads every hour. Ads will be 15 or 30 seconds long, and you’ll see them before and during the things you watch.
In its official statement, Netflix mentioned how the new ad format will function.
- Ad Format: At launch, ads will be 15 or 30 seconds in length, and will play before and during shows and films.
- Advertiser Controls: To help advertisers reach the right audience and ensure our ads are more relevant for consumers we’ll offer broad targeting capabilities by country and genre (e.g. action, drama, romance, sci-fi). Advertisers will also be able to prevent their ads from appearing on content that might be inconsistent with their brand (e.g. sex, nudity, or graphic violence).
It also mentioned that it is up and active in these 12 countries as of November 4th, 2022. Australia, Brazil, Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Korea, Mexico, Spain, the UK, and the US.
Netflix is very clear about non of the current plans will be affected by this new change. It is completely introduced as a new plan and will continue to serve users who choose to opt in. “Our current plans and members will not be impacted. Basic with Ads complements our existing ad-free Basic, Standard, and Premium plans.” Said Netflix in their statement.
“Basic with Ads offers all the features people expect from Netflix’s Basic plan, with a few differences:
- What stays the same: A wide variety of great TV shows and movies; personalized viewing experience; available on a wide range of TV and mobile devices; change or cancel your plan at any time.
- What’s different: Video quality up to 720p/HD (now for both our Basic with Ads and Basic plans); an average of 4 to 5 minutes of ads per hour; a limited number of movies and TV shows won’t be available due to licensing restrictions, which we’re working on; no ability to download titles.”
The Basic with ads plan will be available in certain countries in early November 2022:
- November 1, 2022, PT (Canada, Mexico)
- November 3, 2022, PT (Australia, Brazil, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Korea, United Kingdom, United States)
- November 10, 2022, PT (Spain)
Netflix Basic with ads is an ad-supported subscription plan that allows you to enjoy movies and TV shows at a lower price. With this plan, you can enjoy Netflix in HD video quality (up to 720p) on one supported phone, tablet, computer, or TV at a time. You also have access to Netflix games without any ads. We will evolve the Basic ads plan over time, but an FAQ of the experience at launch is included below.
Unlike our other ad-free plans, ads will be shown before or during most TV shows and movies. Some movies and TV shows will not be available due to licensing restrictions, and downloads are not included.
Apart from the new Ad tier plan, Netflix offers three premium subscription plans: Standard, Premium, and Ultra. All three plans include ad-free streaming and access to the Netflix catalog of movies and TV shows. The Basic plan costs $9.99 per month, the Standard plan costs $15.49 per month, and the Premium plan costs $19.99 per month.
The main difference between the Standard and Premium plans is that the Premium plan includes HDR video playback and supports up to four screens simultaneously, while the Standard plan only supports two screens simultaneously. The main difference between the Premium and Ultra plans is that the Ultra plan includes 4K streaming and supports up to four screens simultaneously.
Netflix has finally launched its $6.99 ad-supported tier, which will include ads before and during shows and films. This new tier is available in select countries as of November 1st, 2022. None of the current plans will be affected by this change. Basic with Ads complements Netflix’s existing ad-free Basic, Standard, and Premium plans.