Do you have a photo that you would like to use in your next graphic design project but the background is not ideal? Or maybe there’s someone in the picture who you would rather not have as part of the final product? With Canva Pro, removing the background of a photo is now easier than ever. In this tutorial, we’ll show you just how easy it is to remove a background in Canva.
There are a few reasons why you might want to remove the background of an image. Maybe the background is cluttered and you want to clean it up for a more polished look. Or maybe you’re creating a collage or composite image and you only need certain elements from the original photo. Whatever the reason, removing backgrounds can be a helpful skill to have in your design toolkit.
Here’s how to remove background from a picture in Canva:
1. Login to Canva and once you see this dashboard, click on Create design
2. It will take you to this screen, the background will be blank but we changed it to orange for a better view. Click on photos in lthe eft side panel.
3. Select a photo from the photos available. (You can also upload your own photos using Upload button)
4. Once you select the image, click on it and select “Edit Image” option.
5. After clicking on edit image, you will see multiple options to edit the image. Today we will be focusing only on “Background Remover”
6. Click on background remover and let Canva do its magic.
7. If you have some elements in the photo that you think Canva did not remove, click on “Erase” option.
8. Once you click on Erase option, you should be able to erase any unwanted elements from the picture as shown below.
9. You can also increase the brush size of selector by dragging the “Brush Size” slider.
10. To check the original image before the background was removed, click on “Show Original Image”.
11. If you think Canva background remover took away some elements that you need in the photo, select “Restore”
12. After selecting restore as mentioned above, start clicking on areas you want to restore. (It will be helpful for you to turn on the “Show Original Image” option as shown in Step 10 to see what you are restoring.)
13. Once everything looks good as expected, click on “Done”.
14. Now you can see the image on the background you want it to be to decide whether it’s good enough or not.
15. If everything looks as expected, click on “Share” at the right top of the screen.
16. Select the Download option from the dropdown.
17. Select your desired output option from the given options. (For this demo purpose, we are using JPG format.)
18. You can also make Canva remember your download settings by selecting “Save Download Settings”
19. Click on Download and your image with background removed and added to the new image should be ready.