It’s time to clear out the clutter! If you haven’t had a chance yet, now is as good of a time as any to uninstall apps on Mac. You might want to get rid of an app because it doesn’t work anymore or because you just don’t use it anymore, but whatever the reason, maybe we will show you how in this blog post. You can uninstall apps that were downloaded through the internet and those that came with Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan and above.
There is a slight difference in the process for apps that were downloaded through the internet and those you got from iTunes. The first thing to do is find your app within Finder or with Spotlight Search. If it does not show up, then look at where you stored it when downloading. It might be on the Documents folder or Downloads folder if you downloaded it from the internet. Never fear, uninstalling an app from macOS is a simple process that takes just a few seconds.
There are a couple of ways that macs can store apps: they could reside in the Applications Folder (within macOS), they could live inside an Application Package (.app file) which is found on your computer’s hard drive and contain all of an application’s files, such as images, code libraries, etc., or finally, there may also be a .dmg file containing what appears to be a simple mounted disk image that contains just one bundled item – usually an installer package.
The process is slightly different for apps you downloaded from the internet and those you got from the App Store. Here’s how to clean out both.
Uninstall apps on Mac that are downloaded from the App store
- Find a launchpad icon that looks like a rocket and click on it
- Now, press and hold any app icon and all the apps should start blinking
- With all the apps blinking, you can see a little “X” at the corner of the icon
- Click on the “X” icon for the app you wish to uninstall
- That’s all, now you can confirm to delete and see the app disappear from your macOS
Uninstall apps on Mac that are downloaded from the Internet:
- Find the smiling guy on the screen called Finder
- Once you click on Finder, on the sidebar you can see the “Applications” section
- After that, you will see all the applications on your Mac, find the one you want to uninstall
- Now, drag the icon to your trash can icon
- You can now go to Trash and see the app files in the trash
- Empty trash to delete the app files permanently from your MacBook
Also Read: Robocalls are coming to an end